apologies for the delay, computers not playing ball ! This is what Steve put on Facebook.
Apologies for those who have also seen the previous version of this note. A change to the title of the attached letter was required to assist members who needed to retrieve this from our “files”
Instructions for those not yet retired, or have retired but not yet drawn a DBS pension
Anyone who has retired, and receiving a DBS bank pension,
please see separate note marked Pension Trustees part 2a
Whilst this note can be read in isolation, the background is contained within my previous note, Update regarding Hurdles set up by the Pension Trustees, part 1
HSBC Pension Trust (UK) Limited has denied us access to the statistical data relating to pensions for members who joined the bank 1975 – 1996. We believe that access to this data will assist us in demonstrating that Midland Clawback is both unfair and discriminatory.
The Midland Clawback committee request that you write to the trustees, and ask for your individual figures. The attached form is designed to help you ask for all relevant details. Once you have filled in your personal details, please e-mail or post the form to the address shown at the bottom of the letter. The trustees have a lawful obligation to supply these details to you in a timely manner.
Please use the attached
Letter 2b HSBC Pensions Detail Letter Deferred Member 04-19 FINAL
Once you have received a full response from the trustees (or their administrators), we would ask that you share these details with us. We do not need your personal details with the completed form; merely your gender and age. Please send your replies to
As a group, we recognise how important your support to us is, and take care to ensure that we treat matters with appropriate levels of confidentiality. Sharing your details with us will only be used for the purpose for which it has been requested, and with all details held securely in encryption protected folders. Every reasonable effort is made to protect your data.
By sending us this information, you are agreeing that we can use the information for the purpose of producing group wide statistics and applying pressure on HSBC and its associates in support of our cause. Updates may be provided from time to time by e mail unless you specifically request that we stop doing so.
If you have any questions, please contact any member of the committee for assistance.
Thank you once again for your support
The following link will take you to the letter template. It is in the latest version of word. A copy of the text appears below the link if you are unable to access the electronic document.
Deferred pensioners – those who have left the bank but not yet taken their benefits, OR
Current bank employees – now contributing to a DCS but have frozen benefits in the DBS
(remove this line before printing / e-mailing)
Ellen Kelleher, Chief Operating Officer,
HSBC Pension Trust (UK) Limited,
level 33, 8 Canada Square,
London E14 5HQ
Administrators of HSBC Bank (UK) Pension Scheme
Willis Towers Watson
HSBC Pension Administration
PO Box 652
HSBC (UK) Pension Scheme – Defined Benefit Scheme Post 1974 Midland Bank Section
Member Details: Enter full name
Date of Birth
National Insurance Number
Scheme Reference or Employee ID (if known)
I am assessing my pension benefits. Could you please provide me with the following information: –
Personal Information Details fill in the following details
• Date employment commenced
• Date employment ceased or if still employed date of last accrual into scheme
• Date of joining the scheme
• NRA of scheme as it applies to me
• Pensionable Salary at date of leaving or last date of accrual as applicable
• Details of any enhanced or fixed protections that you are aware of
Please advise details of Total Pension as follows: –
• Current Total Accrued Deferred Pension Benefit as of date of leaving or last date of accrual as applicable
• Total Estimated Pension Benefit payable at NRA before State Deduction/Clawback
Details of any GMP and S2P as follows: –
• Total amount at date of leaving or last day of accrual as applicable, showing any Pre/Post 1988 splits
• Both revaluation and escalation rates including any split between Pre/Post 1988 benefits
Details of Excess Benefit over GMP and S2P as follows: –
• Total amount at date of leaving or last day of accrual as applicable, showing any Pre/Post 1985 or 1997 splits
• Both revaluation and escalation rates including any split between Pre/Post 1997 benefits
Details of State Deduction/Clawback as follows: –
• Confirm that State Deduction applies to me – yes or no
• Amount of my State Deduction/Clawback
• Confirm if there are any increases in State Deduction/Clawback after application and if so at what escalation rate
• Confirm how my State Deduction/Clawback has been calculated
• When is my State Deduction/Clawback applied i.e. at SPA (confirm that this is after allowing for recent increases in SPA), or alternatively is it at NRA if before SPA. If the latter is there a bridging pension that applies at NRA and if so how much and what is the escalation rate
Details of Any Transfers-In From Other Schemes as follows: –
• Breakdown of any transferred-in benefits. If applicable, are the benefits treated the same as the main scheme benefits? If not, please highlight any differences. Please confirm if no benefits have been transferred in.
Details of Early Retirement
• Confirm if early retirement is available and if so from what age
• If early retirement is available please confirm reduction factors
Details of Tax-Free Cash Sum Paid as follows: –
• Tax-free cash sum amount as at date of leaving or last date of accrual as applicable
• Revaluation basis of tax-free cash sum
• Death benefit details pre and post retirement i.e. spouse/dependant benefits and any lump sum payments payable
• Does spouse’s benefit cease upon re-marriage?
• List of any discretionary increases applied to pension either in deferment/payment during last 5yrs. Please confirm if no discretionary increases have been applied.
• Has any adjustment been made for Married Women’s NI contributions? And if so how much?
• What is the scheme’s current funding position? Would deferred members’ benefits be affected in any way, if so, how?
• Following the Barber v GRE 1990 judgement please confirm when the Scheme was equalised
Whilst I am aware that some of this information is historical and may take some time to retrieve, I would be grateful if you could reply as soon as possible, and certainly by 30 June 2019.
I look forward to hearing from you, however should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.
Submit the completed form to
Ellen Kelleher, Chief Operating Officer, HSBC Pension Trust (UK) Limited, level 33, 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ
e mail email@example.com